Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sri Lanka, War, and the scope of this blog

I am so sad because I read this article on terrible fighting in Sri Lanka today.

I am also sad because prior to researching for this blog I had no idea Sri Lanka has such strife and conflict. I feel so, so, so.......American!


I have been thinking about this a lot the last few days, I started this blog strictly to learn where countries were and some basic facts about them. I mean, just getting all that information is overwhelming enough without learning all the political issues and other problems around the world.

I feel sort of glib not discussing The civil war in Sri Lanka at greater length. War is nothing to take lightly. I wish and pray and dream for peace for all!



At the same time, I feel there is a time and a place for different kinds of information. There are international news and politics blogs where people get in depth on these issues. I do not feel I have the knowledge to fairly or accurately e-publish on that information.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

2 comments:

Douglas Underhill said...

I think this is a great blog, and I enjoy reading it. Its a fun way to refurbish my geographical knowledge.

I don't think you're responsible to say everything about every country - far from it. In countries where there are serious issues that people might want to know more about, you can just provide some links at the bottom of the post and a brief comment. "For years now, Sri Lanka has been wracked by violence and civil war. Here are some resources to find out more about what is going on there, and here are a couple of charities that work in the region and would appreciate your donations to support them." I don't think you need to do any more than that.

Even in a place that is as troubled as Sri Lanka, it doesn't define the country as a whole, just as the Iraq war/Afghanistan war aren't all there is about America. If anything, learning more about Sri Lankan and its people humanizes the conflict, making it more than yet another conflict in the developing world that Americans try not to think about...

Missy said...

I really appreciate your comment! I am glad that you are reading too.

I really like the point about humanize the country...very very very necessary!